Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Calling (part 1)


My passion for Africa began a few years back when my students at Cornerstone Christian Academy began sponsoring a little girl named Zamambo. She lives in South Africa and attends an Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) Member School. Cornerstone is also a member of ACSI so our preschool classes began collecting coins and dollars to pay for her tuition, meals, and clothing. We began praying for her and her family. My students amazed me with their giving hearts and generosity. They were so excited to give. Some even emptied their entire piggy banks for Zamambo. One of my favorite stories is about a little boy who received "ice cream" money in the mail from his Grandpa. He decided on his own that Zamambo needed the money more than him. Through these experiences with my students I felt God's calling to serve the African children in some way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I get to be the first person to leave a comment! Well, my fellow Africa-lover, you know I'm so excited for you. It's been so great to see how God has been puting everything in place for you to be able to do this and so amazing to see how He has given you the desire of your heart in being able to serve the African children. You know I'm praying for you and I can't wait to here about all that God is going to do in and through you as you submit yourself to His will.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

Love you!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,

I was JUST about to say, 'Did you know that Andrea is going back as well?' and voila - there she is! I'm so excited for both of you, Jenny and Andrea. It's very moving to see those photos again and feel those feelings. I'll be praying for you. Did you know that one of my students, Jessica, from the school where I teach will be on Team Africa this summer going to Uganda AND Rwanda? I'm really excited for you all!

Happy Easter!

Erica
XO