Thursday, January 28, 2010


















Wow, sometimes I am just in awe of my life. God has been so good to me. Sure, I have struggles, hurts and frustrations but I am amazed at the way God has been faithful to me. None of you may have realized it but I was facing some pretty big and real fears before coming here to South Africa. When I made the commitment to come back in the spring of 2009 I didn't really have much fear about leaving my comfortable, easy, North American life for South Africa. I just felt a lot of joy about being clear on what God had called me to do. Somehow, during a spiritually vulnerable time during tour with the choir in the UK, satan snuck in and replaced the original joy I had with fear. I'm not sure how that happened but it did. I was fearful about failing in what God had called me to do. I also had huge fears about my relationship with the people I would be working with here. I wish I could describe how I felt when after completing the long journey here. After a 11 hour flight and a 5 hour drive I sat alone in South Africa and wondered "What in the word am I doing here?" Even though I had met a very nice MFL staff family and was looking forward to seeing the 23 kids and 2 chaperones I had traveled with I still felt very much alone. Now, looking back, I am so glad that God put me in that "alone" place because it caused me to run directly into His ever present arms and seek out refuge. I knew I was beat.... I couldn't do anything on my own. I am so thankful that God gave me strength and perseverance to face the fears head on. He was faithful to replace my fear with joy. I know things won't be perfect or even easy here with ACC in South Africa but I know it's where He has called me to be for the moment. So for now I will take each day as it comes. I will drive the Land Rover on the "wrong" side of the road listening to the small children yell "Music for Life" as I drive through the villages to our outreach programs. I will spend time sitting eating peri peri chips (french fries with hot peppers and vinegar) at the picnic table at the gas station with my co-workers building relationships with them. After telling a Bible Story I will serve juice and buns to the 50 little children sitting on the dirty school room floor at a village school. I will spend time with "my" choir kids helping them with homework or just playing. I will sit on the old swingset at Music for Life Academy and chat with the R.A.'s (residence assistants) who live at the school and act as parents to all the children in the boarding school. I will do my best to encourage them in their hard work. I will try to cheerful do whatever God asks of me while asking Him to continually replace my fear with His joy. Thanks for joining me on the journey.

6 comments:

Connie said...

Thinking of you! God bless you for following His will even when it's scary! God is with you every step of the way!

andrea said...

Thanks, I needed to read that tonight... No better place to be then in the center of God's will!

K!M said...

Hi Jenny,..i stumbled upon your blog recently because it is like two blogs over from mine on blogspot. I just started a blog this year as a new years resolution. Anywho I really enjoyed reading about your Journey. I was in South Africa in 05-06 school year,..I volunteered in Durban during my senior year of undergrad and it remains to be the most life changing experience I have had thus far,..fast forward to 2009 I am now half way through a Masters Program through Webster University where I will earn a Global MA in International Relations. I have been traveling throughout Europe and will be moving to Thailand in the summer to finish up. My focus is on Human Rights. Anyway sorry to make this so long but I believe that God does everything for a reason, I was wondering how I could be involved in what you do. Just yesterday in my professional Development class Our professor had us create a vindiagram of our skills talents and something we are interested in to come up with a perfect job,..well my three things were singing(i am an accomplished soloist) Justice and Equality, and traveling,..and basically the jobs that the class came up with for me was exactly what you do,..that or become BONO! lol,..so I was wondering how do I become a mini you? what is the program that you do? how did you get involved? How is it funded? what are the time commitments? I wish you all the best on your journey and if nothing else please know that I am truly inspired by you and I wish you nothing but blessings and peace! I know that God will take care of you!

Mariah S said...

"I am so glad that God put me in that "alone" place because it caused me to run directly into His ever present arms and seek out refuge."

I agree so much with this statement. I have come to call those my "sweet spots" because they are when the rubber of our faith meets the road of our actual life. Yep, press through, cling to Him. He says that those of us who hope in Him with NOT be put to shame. You may fail, but you will fail foward into what He has for you :-)

Blessings to you on your journey... I am loving America, but I can't wait to get back "out there".

-a fellow journey-er!

Mariah S said...

"foRward" ...fail foRward is what I meant to write ;-)

Mary T said...

Jenny,
So good to see your blog and get your email. Miss you so much friend, glad you are in His palm AND good to know we'll see each other again someday. As they say, "Here, there or in the air!"
PS Panera says Hi!
Love you!