Sunday, May 27, 2007

Performance on American Idol

It was really amazing for me to see the ACC kids performing on American Idol last week. These are the same kids my group visited in Uganda last summer. They were just learning to sing and dance and they practiced for us on the front porch of the house that was their temporary home and school. When we arrived the yard and house was so quiet~we found out that the kids were having "nap time". The headmaster woke them up with a little bell and they rushed into the room to immediately give all of us hug after hug after hug. It was really their first contact with a group of Muzungu's (white people). We played games with them in the yard. The most memorable moment for me was when these kids cheered because we had brought them underwear. Yes, that is what I said, UNDERWEAR! How much we take for granted! Several people have mentioned to me how hard it must be for the choir kids to go back to Africa after they have been to the United States. I have pondered this issue also...I have actually asked myself is it really fair to give them a taste of the "good life" and then send them back? I think God is beginning to show me a different perspective on this issue. Would I rather have my kids be thankful for receiving clothes as a gift or have them complain about not getting that new game or toy? Does it really matter if a child grows up without an opportunity to be constantly busy with swimming, piano, karate, tennis, or golf lessons? What if they never go to a movie or visit Chuck E. Cheese? Aren't we a somewhat prideful saying that we are so much better off here? Thankfully these children, unlike many other African kids, will have their needs met. The choir kids will go back to Uganda to attend the Music for Life School with loving Christian teachers, food, and clothing. I am also thankful that these children are taught from the beginning that God has given them a great opportunity to make a difference in the United States AND Africa. Click below to see Choir 29 on Amerian Idol.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a joy it's going to be to read your blogs and hear your stories as you begin this new chapter in serving God this next year! Thank you for reaching out with your love for God and children in this unique, aspiring, wonderful way...

Anonymous said...

Jenny, Im so excited for you. I loved your reminder of what is really important to children. Thanks for posting the different clips of the choir. It will be so fun to go in and watch them every once in a while. I have their CD from the first time they visited church but you really have to watch them to get the full effect. I love your story about Max. Thanks for sharing. Julie