Thursday, September 11, 2008

ONE YEAR AGO

ONE YEAR AGO......

One year ago I was at the airport to greet 26 sleepy eyed kids and 3 chaperones! They had just flown into Chicago from Entebbe, Uganada. I remember waiting at the airport feeling as if they just couldn't get there soon enough! Every second waiting felt so long! They walked out looking so tall and proud wearing their new ACC shirts. I was so happy to get those 26 hugs!

They got on the bus and had their first ride on the bus we now have made our "home away from home". They had many questions about the many vehicles they saw and all of the tall buildings in Chicago. We drove to Cedar Lake, Indiana where we would spend a few days at a camp before venturing out for our first real concert.

That first night was full of surprises for them! They had come to America with just the clothes they were wearing. We showed the children to the rooms where they would sleep. On each of their beds was a duffle bag with pajamas and a tolietry bag. We made a lot of noise trying on new pajamas and having the kids take showers for the first time! I remember Jane and Jackie "enjoying the hot water" and dancing in the shower!

It wasn't long before the shouting and laughter turned into quiet as we told the kids goodnight and they headed off to bed.

I went to go peek in on 14 little girls that were fast asleep. I stopped by each bed praying for each of those precious ones. I could hardly believe that God had sent them to me.

Today, one year later, I am at a host family with 8 of those little girls. Words cannot express the amazing joy and love these children have brought into my life. I think I will go peek in on them and pray for them once again............

1 comment:

Nikki said...

One year- how exciting! I am hoping to make it to the concert on friday! Just have to work out getting a car!